Why it’s important to understand exactly what the social media manager does
I’ve seen social marketing efforts flounder because expectations and accountabilities were not clearly defined and assigned at the outset. Managing a social program is way more than posting to accounts.
Once the project concept is set, I’ve found it very helpful to get tactical in the early planning stages and list the roles and tasks. That way the project can be shaped to fit the budget and staff available. There is nothing more frustrating than creating a beautiful project plan and then determining you don’t have the people in place to execute it.
Here are the three roles the social media manager plays:
- Community manager
- Data analyst
In larger organizations, these roles are often assigned to separate individuals who are highly specialized. In smaller organizations, these roles are typically performed by one person.
I hope the job description below helps you scope your social business work – whether it’s a marketing campaign or internal social collaboration project.
Role #1: The social media strategist defines a social strategy that supports the overall organizational goals. This includes target audience, goals, social platforms, policy and rules of engagement, communication style, and key performance metrics.
- Define goals, audience, rules of engagement policy, content strategy, and communication style
- Evaluate and select social platforms to engage target audience
- Evaluate and select social media management and measurement tools
- Define strategies to increase engagement and build the community
- Analyze social metrics and campaign results and adjust strategy as needed
Role #2: The social media community manager serves as the online brand evangelist, community leader and social media property manager. They author and publish content on social properties, monitor and engage in user discussions, and actively seek out advocates and influencers that will help strengthen and expand the community.
- Establish and set up profiles for selected platforms, ensuring brand consistency
- Define and manage an editorial calendar
- Author and publish content on social properties on a regular basis
- Monitor discussions, mentions, and comments and respond in a timely fashion to build community interest and involvement
- Identify, cultivate, and strengthen relationships with influencers/advocates so they become followers and evangelists
Role #3: The social media data analyst collects, analyzes and reports on social media performance metrics, making recommendations where to adjust the strategy to meet stated goals.
- Define key performance metrics
- Implement social media measurement tools to collect metrics
- Create reporting methodology and templates
- Collect metrics and produce reports
- Analyze data and draw conclusions to refine and improve the social media strategy
Please share – what other roles and responsibilities would you add?